I started going through my files recently, found some old air-checks, some old production notes, some old commercials I had written, some old parody spots I had written voiced and produced from what seems like a lifetime ago.. well almost 25 years to be exact. I found reading through them, that I had learned a lot in the last 2 1/2 decades. But what I found most disturbing is that I hadn’t achieved my goals that I had written down for posterity I guess. What were they you ask?.. Ok, well
1. Become independently wealthy in the Broadcasting Industry as an on air personality— (not gonna happen ever)
2. Work at WABC/ NY City (not gonna happen ever)
3. Meet Paul Harvey (never happened)
4. Become a Program Director (hasn’t happened, probably won’t)
5. Have 5 kids (why I wrote this down in here I haven’t a clue, but it was there nonetheless and we only have 2 and we’re done)
7. I skipped 6. because it’s my unlucky number
8. Make more money than my siblings ( they have BA’s in Marketing and Finance, I have Assoc in Comp Prgming Systems Analysis and still work in Radio)– never gonna happen
9. Move to Nashville and work at WSM (you guessed it never gonna happen)
10. Retire at 55 ( yeah, right)
So you see my dilemma? of course you don’t, you see someone who didn’t achieve the goals he set before himself when he was 25. I guess what I’m getting at is, if you’re just getting out of college and are about 25ish you have lofty goals I’m sure, do your level best to achieve them no matter what the outcome of the next 25 years of your life. With that being said,, here’s what I’ve done in the last 25 years that I’m most proud of
1. Married the love of my life
2 Brought two of the most beautiful babies into this world and made their grandparents smile
3. Worked in radio for over 25 years ( not many people can say that, and those that can are legends)
4. Had a steady job for over 25 years ( see #3)
5. Met some of the most interesting people on the planet
6. Traveled to Egypt, UK, and the Middle East BEFORE it was dangerous to do so
7. Worked with the most professional broadcasters in the world
8. Found my Patriot Ancestor Samuel Swearingen who served in the 7th Maryland in the American Revolution, and hence I became President of The Delaware Crossing Chapter of The Sons Of The American Revolution.
9. Am blessed to be born an American
10. Thank GOD everyday that I am alive, and count my blessings as a divine gift from God who knows what I’m supposed to do, and is guiding my spirit to achieve my purpose.
So you see, 25 years isn’t enough, 100 years won’t be enough, keep the goals in sight, do you what you can for those that can’t and love the moments as if they’re your last.